Seven people were in custody Thursday night after state and local officials conducted anti-terrorism raids in Miami. The arrests were made in connection with the early stages of a plot to attack Chicago’s Sears Tower and the FBI building in Miami.
- The seven men were in the very early stages of planning an attack with they thought were Al Qaeda members, but were actually Department of Justice officials.
- The suspects were plotting to wage jihad in collaboration with others they believed to be Al Qaeda members. The suspects believed if they knocked down the Sears Tower, that they could effectively cripple the U.S. government.
- Those arrested include five American citizens, one illegal alien from Haiti, and one resident alien. All are expected to be arraigned in U.S. District Court in Miami tomorrow morning.
- Local Miami media reported that agents were raiding a warehouse in Miami’s Liberty City section.
- There is no imminent threat to Miami or any other area because of these operations.
- Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is scheduled to hold a news conference on Friday at 10:30 am. A simultaneous news conference will be held in Miami.
Allah Pundit provides several updates at the Hot Air Site.
NBC5 – The men slept in the warehouse, said Tashawn Rose, 29. “They would come out late at night and exercise. It seemed like a military boot camp that they were working on there. They would come out and stand guard.”
-Rose said the men tried to recruit her younger brother and nephew for a karate class. “It was weird,” she said.