S.Africa Denies World Cup Terror Attack Threat

South Africa faces a high risk of a World Cup terror attack, a Sunday newspaper reported, but intelligence and security authorities ruled out any threat less than two weeks ahead of kick-off.

The Sunday Times cited a briefing to the US Congress counter-terrorism caucus last week by the NEFA Foundation, a terror research group, which warned that simultaneous and random attacks were being planned during the tournament.

“I believe there is an 80 percent chance of an attack,” the foundation's Ronald Sandee told the newspaper.

A South African state security ministry spokesman on Sunday said authorities had uncovered no threat to the 64-match tournament which starts on June 11.

via AFP: S.Africa denies World Cup terror attack threat.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Facebook comments:

Leave a Comment