Hurricane Gustav is rapidly growing into a monster Category 5 storm.
‘FEMA’ Federal Emergency Management Agency chief David Paulison told reporters several times at a briefing Saturday that the storm was strengthening into a Category 5 hurricane.
FEMA officials said Bill Read, the director of the National Hurricane Center, interrupted an afternoon teleconference involving the agency, Gulf Coast states and the National Weather Service to say he is going to issue a special advisory statement raising Gustav to Category 5. That means winds greater than 155 mph and a storm surge greater than 18 feet above normal.
Watch Live New Coverage of Hurricane Gustav Online
Additional News Coverage Hurricane Gustav
Additional Hurricane Gustav Links
- National Hurricane Center
- NOLA.com (New Orleans, Louisiana news)
- Chron.con (Houston, Texas news)
Hurricane Gustav Blogs
- Wunderground Blog
- Twitter search for “Hurricane Gustav”
- Google Blog Search for “Hurricane Gustav”
- Technorati search for “Hurricane Gustav”
- BlogPulse search for “Hurricane Gustav”
Hurricane Gustav Blog Posts
- Wired on Gustav storm surge probabilities
- DailyWireless.org on U.S. wireless preparations for Gustav
Hurricane Gustav Resources